The University of Edinburgh receives thousands of applications from students in the United Kingdom and across the globe.
However, without knowing the basic details on how best to secure a slot in the school, you wouldn’t be successful.
That’s why in this article, we will enlighten you on the necessary piece of information that you need to know in order to secure admission to this prestigious institution.
Let’s get started….
The University Of Edinburgh Ranking
Edinburgh is recognized as one of the top-ranked best universities in the world.
According to U.S News and World Report, the University of Edinburgh is ranked 5th as the best global university in the United Kingdom, 6th in Europe, and 32nd worldwide.
Times Higher Education ranks the University of Edinburgh 30th in the recent university rankings.
University of Edinburgh subject ranking (U.S News & World Report):
- 7 in arts and humanities
- 31 in cardiac and cardiovascular systems
- 52 in clinical medicine
- 55 in computer science
- 60 in cell biology
- 44 in biotechnology and applied microbiology
- 117 in economics and business
- 227 in Chemistry
- 135 in electrical and electronic engineering
- 20 in space science
- 20 in surgery
The University Of Edinburg’s Acceptance Rate
Each year, not less than 60,000 applications are received at the University of Edinburgh.
Based on the year’s statistics, the acceptance rate is estimated to be between 40% to 50%
Making the university easy for international students to get admission while for postgraduate students, their acceptance rate into the university is 48%.
With this, you can see that the University of Edinburgh has a competitive acceptance rate where more than half of the applicants applying to Edinburgh are denied admission.
Graduate Acceptance Rate
Edinburgh offers a variety of graduate degree programs in engineering, medicine, business, law, and natural sciences.
Admission to undergraduate courses at the University of Edinburgh is less compared to graduate courses.
Nevertheless, the acceptance rate for graduate courses at the University of Edinburgh is estimated to be 46%, which is more competitive than for undergraduate courses.
Edinburgh’s most selective master’s programs include MA Fashion with an acceptance rate of 6.1%, MSc Finance and Investment (8.3%), MSc Marketing (9.1%), and PGDE History (6.3%).
The University Of Edinburgh Admission
Below are the necessary admission requirements for all levels at the University of Edinburgh.
They are as follows:
Undergraduates Admission Requirements
Admission to the University of Edinburgh is a bit competitive when looking at its acceptance rate.
So in order to gain entry admission into Edinburgh, applicants must satisfy the admission requirement for the course they intend to study.
Edinburgh accepts several academic qualifications as entry requirements for undergraduate courses such as Scottish Highers,
A-Levels International Baccalaureate, European Baccalaureate, and other academic qualifications.
Bear in mind that each undergraduate course offered at the University of Edinburgh has specific grades,
And you must meet the standard for the course you wish to study to be considered for admission.
Here, we will look at the standard grades required for Scottish Highers and A Levels.
Applicants with Scottish Highers should have AAAA to ABBB While A Level must have AAA to ABB.
English Language Entry Requirements
Regardless of your nationality, you must demonstrate proficiency in English to be considered for admission to Edinburgh.
The English requirement varies based on the academic program you wish to study at the University of Edinburgh.
Through Edinburgh undergraduate degree finder, you can find the English language requirement for your program of choice.
International Students Admission Requirements
Admission requirements for international students at the University of Edinburgh are based on a country’s educational system.
International students seeking admission to an undergraduate program at Edinburgh must present a certificate indicating that he/she has graduated from a secondary or high school.
English Proficiency Requirement
International students from countries where English is not an official language must
Demonstrate proficiency in English before they can be considered for admission to Edinburgh.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based: minimum score of 100 (with no sub-score below 20).
- International English Language Testing System: minimum band score of 7.0 (with no sub-score below 6.0)
- Cambridge C1 Advanced: minimum score of 185 (with no sub-score below 169)
Graduates Admission Requirements
Edinburgh has specific admission requirements for applicants who seek entry into its graduate programs.
So, if you want to be considered for admission to a graduate program at Edinburgh, you must have:
- Graduated from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree and an average score of 60%/CGPA of 3.5 or above (second class upper).
- An appropriate amount of work experience as specified by the institution for every program
- Recommendation Letter
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Statement of Purpose
The University Of Edinburgh Tuition Fees
The tuition fee at the University of Edinburg for Scottish students is £1,820 while other
Students from other regions of the United Kingdom will pay £9,250 as tuition for one academic year at Edinburgh.
For international students, the one-year academic session will cost £23,100.
Process Of Applying For Admission Through UCAS
Just like many universities in the United Kingdom, the University of Edinburgh uses the UCAS application.
So before you start the application process, you need to know when to apply and the required documents for the application.
- Firstly, the UCAS applications normally open by September.
Start your application to the University of Edinburgh early.
Choose the undergraduate program you intend to study at Edinburgh and make sure you satisfy specific requirements.
- Secondly, gather your academic documents and apply to Edinburgh via the UCAS application.
Fill in the required details on the UCAS application, which include your academic qualification, predicted grades, and personal statement.
- Lastly, get a reference letter from your school teacher, tutor, or principal, and submit your application with the required fee.
The University Of Edinburgh’s Application Deadlines
Below are the deadlines for the 2023 applications exercise and they are as follows:
- Veterinary and medical school applications are due on October 15th through UCAS.
- Undergraduate applications will be due on January 25th, 2023.
- The deadline for submitting work experience in veterinary medicine is October 22.
- February 1, 2023, Mini Portfolio for Art and Design
- Accommodation Date of Use: August 16, 2023
- The application deadline for EU and international students is June 30, 2023
- Offers accepted or rejected: 15th July 2023
- Results of the SQA: August 8, 2023
- Submission of certification: August 31, 2023
- King’s College London Acceptance Rate, Admission, Tuition, Ranking
- Northwestern Engineering Ranking, Acceptance Rate, Tuition 2023
- UC Davis Acceptance Rate, Admission, SAT/ACT, Tuition, Ranking
1. How Difficult Is It To Get Into Edinburgh?
On average, the University of Edinburgh receives about 60,000 applications each year.
Out of these 48 to 50% are offered admission to the University of Edinburgh. Currently, the admission rate at Edinburgh is 48%.
2. What Is The Average GPA To Get Into Edinburgh?
With a minimum GPA of 3.5 or above of a bachelor’s degree obtained from an accredited university, you will be considered for admission to a graduate program at Edinburgh.
3. How Many Colleges Are There At The University Of Edinburgh?
Established in 1582, the university has three colleges comprising 21 schools and departments.
The University of Edinburgh programs include 500+ degree courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
International applicants need a minimum 80% academic score along with an IELTS score of 6.5.
4. What Can International Students Do At The University Of Edinburgh?
International students at the University of Edinburgh have access to a variety of study
Opportunities and programs, including undergraduate, postgraduate, short-term study abroad programs, and foundation programs.
The admission process at the University of Edinburgh is very competitive.
So, if you are interested in starting a program in Edinburgh, there will be a need for you to
Earn a place at Edinburgh by providing standard academic qualifications and convincing applications.
For further questions, do well to leave them in the comment section provided below.