Are you curious about the University of Glasgow Acceptance Rate?
Do you have an interest in starting a program but don’t know what its acceptance rate looks like?
If that’s your worry, then this article is for you.
In this article, we will walk you through everything that you need to know before you
Commence your application to this institution such as the school’s acceptance rate, admissions, tuition fees, ranking, and many more.
The University Of Glasgow Ranking
According to U.S News and World Report, the University of Glasgow is ranked 8th in the best global university in the United Kingdom, also as 26th in Europe as well as 84th worldwide.
Glasgow is also ranked 86th in Times Higher Education World University Ranking.
The University of Glasgow occupies the 81st position in QS World University Ranking.
Other Glasgow subject ranking corning to U.S News & World Report includes:
- 11 in cardiac and cardiovascular systems
- 27 in optics
- 75 in oncology
- 52 in physics
- 58 in neuroscience and behavior
- 51 in microbiology
- 104 in molecular biology and genetics
- 86 in arts and humanities
- 102 in biology and biochemistry
- 101 in cell biology
University Of Glasgow Acceptance Rate
According to statistics, the overall University of Glasgow’s acceptance rate is 74.3%.
This means that out of 100 applicants, only 75 students will be selected which makes it a fairly selective institution.
Also, the University of Glasgow’s acceptance rate for undergraduate courses is 70% while for postgraduate courses, it is 52%.
1. International Students’ Acceptance Rate
Glasgow remains one of the globally recognized research universities, which has caused the number of international students seeking admission to the university to rise.
The University of Glasgow presently has an acceptance rate of 74.4%.
With such an admission rate, international students with the best academic qualifications and applications have a better chance of getting admitted into the University Of Glasgow.
2. Postgraduate Studies Acceptance Rate
Admission to postgraduate studies at the University of Glasgow is more competitive than undergraduate.
The acceptance rate for postgraduate studies at the University of Glasgow is 52%.
This is the average for admission to Glasgow postgraduate courses.
Glasgow also offers highly selective graduate programs.
For instance, the MBA programs at Glasgow have an acceptance rate of 28%, MSc Economics,
Banking and Finance (44%), MAcc Accounting and Finance (43%), and MLitt English Literature (53%).
The University Of Glasgow Admissions
Glasgow has specific entry requirements for each course offered at the university.
However, meeting the admission requirement for a specific course does not guarantee
Admission since the admission officers at Glasgow considers several factors before a student receives an admission offer.
In a situation whereby an applicant meets the entry requirement for a course, they must also present a convincing application.
The admission officers will assess your application to determine if you are a worthy candidate for admission.
Also, your personal statement in the application will be examined, as well as your teacher’s reference.
If the admission officers at the University of Glasgow are content with your application, then you will likely receive an admission offer.
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
Each academic program offered at the University of Glasgow has its specific entry requirement.
So, if you are a student aspiring to secure admission to study at Glasgow, you must bear in mind to satisfy the entry requirement for your program of choice.
Glasgow accepts several academic qualifications such as A Levels, and International Baccalaureate, among others.
For instance, let’s look at the admission requirements for mechanical engineering
1. SQA Higher Entry Requirements
If you are aspiring for a bachelor’s degree in engineering, then Glasgow will consider your
AABB at S5 and the S6 entrants must possess at least AAAAA at Higher (B at Advanced Higher is equivalent to A at Higher).
Also, Higher Mathematics and Physics or Engineering Science are also required for this course.
2. A Levels
Applicants must have an A Level in Mathematics and Physics.
Also, you must provide standard grades in AAB-BBB.
3. International Baccalaureate
Students applying for an engineering program must present at least 36 points (6, 6, 5, Higher Level), and 32 points (6, 5, 5 Higher Level).
In addition, a Higher Level Mathematics (analysis and approaches) and Physics are also required for this course.
International Students Admission Requirements
Just like domestic students, international students seeking admission to the University of
Glasgow must present certificates or standard academic qualifications which will be used to consider a student for undergraduate admission such as English language proficiency tests.
English Language Proficiency Requirement
International students who are non-native speakers of English are required to demonstrate proficiency to study at Glasgow.
These can be evaluated by providing the scores of the test listed below:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-Based with a minimum score of 90
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic with a minimum score of 6.5 (with no sub-test less than 6.0)
- Pearson Test of English Academic with a minimum score of 60
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE) with a minimum score of 176
- Cambridge Proficiency in English (CPE) with a minimum score of 176
University Of Glasgow Tuition Fees
- Living Expenses
Average living expenses (Bachelor): £34,720
Average living expenses (Masters): £40,570
Average on-campus living expenses: £16,444
How To Apply For Admission Into The University Of Glasgow
Freshman students can take the following steps below to apply at the University of Glasgow.
- Full-time students at the University of Glasgow must apply through the Universities & Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
The University will accept Centre or Teacher Assessed Grades in lieu of exam results.
- International students in Arts, Engineering, Law, Nursing, Science, and Social Sciences can apply using The Common Application.
However, if applying to more than one UK university, the university recommends using UCAS.
Also, the applications to Dentistry, Education, Medicine, and Veterinary Medicine must be made through UCAS.
- The students are expected to fill out the application with their personal information and academic degrees.
- Furthermore, they will be asked to submit the documents like academic transcripts, financial proof, SOP, LOR, valid visa, etc.
- They must also pay a University of Glasgow application fee of £25/ INR 2137 for postgraduate admission, £50/ 4,275 for MBA admission, £22/ INR 1881 with UCAS for one university, and £26.50/ INR 2266.26 for the multiple University of Glasgow courses.
- Lastly, wait for the university’s decision. Upon selection, the university can also ask the students to visit for an interview.
It is important to apply for this program before the deadline
Below are the necessary documents that you will need to provide while applying for admission into this prestigious university.
- Filled application form
- Passport-size photographs
- An original, valid passport
- Birth certificate
- Financial Statements
- Recommendation Letters or References
- Statement of Purpose
- Academic Transcripts
- Professional work experience (for students applying to graduate programs)
Below are the necessary exams that are being demanded by the University of Glasgow admission requirements:
Exam: Minimum scores required
TOEFL: 237 in computer-based test, 100 in iBT TOEFL
IELTS ACADEMIC: 7.0 with no sub-test less than 7.0
CAE: Grade B or above
CPE: Grade C or above
1. Can I Study A Postgraduate Course At The University Of Glasgow With A Diploma?
The University of Glasgow looks typically for students to complete an honors degree after secondary or high school and, in most cases, to have majored in a relevant discipline.
Therefore, students with diplomas are not qualified for entry.
However, suppose one has work experience or has taken a professional qualification that is directly relevant to the type of master’s one wishes to take.
In that case, this can sometimes compensate if they have not completed the required honors degree.
For this to be considered, one must present a comprehensive description of work experience related to their intended Master’s program.
2. What Is The Average Undergraduate Tuition Fees For International Students?
The average annual tuition fee for undergraduates at the University of Glasgow is £9,960/ INR 8,53,508 per year.
3. What Is The Average GPA To Get Into The University Of Glasgow?
With a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher, you will be considered for admission to the University of Glasgow.
4. What Is The University Of Glasgow’s Address?
The University of Glasgow’s address is Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK.
Glasgow remains one of the finest universities in the United Kingdom, Europe, and across the world.
Although securing admission to this University is a bit selective,
Students can still earn their place in the institution if they follow all the necessary steps provided in this article.
Was the information helpful?