The University of Melbourne is one of the top research institutions in Australia, and knowing the acceptance rate of this institution is very important if you intend to study there.
That’s why in this article, we will discuss the school acceptance rate, admission requirements, Tuition fees, and ranking.
Let’s get started….
The University Of Melbourne Ranking
The University of Melbourne is considered one of the top public schools in Australia and worldwide.
According to U.S News and World Report, the University of Melbourne is ranked 1st as the best global university in Australia, 1st in Australia/New Zealand, and 25th in the world.
U Melbourne occupies the 33rd position in Times Higher Education World University Ranking. And in the latest QS World University Ranking, U Melbourne is ranked 33rd.
U Melbourne subject ranking (U.S News & World Report)
- 66 in agricultural sciences
- 16 in arts and humanities
- 31 in biology and biochemistry
- 57 in biotechnology and applied microbiology
- 22 in neuroscience and behavior
- 9 in infectious diseases
- 44 in cell biology
- 34 in clinical medicine
- 11 in immunology
- 56 in economics and business
- 51 in environment/ecology
- 66 in civil engineering
- 69 in computer science
The University Of Melbourne Acceptance Rate
The best universities in the world are very selective when it comes to admission.
For instance, the Ivy elites are known to have acceptance rates close to single digits.
The University of Melbourne’s acceptance rate gives confidence to prospective students.
The overall acceptance rate at the University of Melbourne is estimated at 70-80%.
However, U Melbourne does not release its official admission statistics, and the 70-80% acceptance rate is only an estimated figure from observers.
With such an acceptance rate, it indicates that the University of Melbourne rejects about 20-30% of applicants.
Applicants are considered competitive for admission to Melbourne if they satisfy the entry requirements.
The same process applies to international students who want to study at the University of Melbourne.
University Of Melbourne Admission Requirement
Below are the necessary requirements for the various admission levels.
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
The University of Melbourne entry requirements must be satisfied before a student receives admission to an undergraduate degree.
For students to apply for an undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne, they must have:
- Completed and obtained standard marks in every prerequisite subject required for the degree.
- Applicants must have completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent.
- Earned the minimum ATAR or its equivalent for admission to the degree, except for applicants eligible for any U Melbourne special entry scheme.
- Applicants must complete any additional requirements for the degree.
- Satisfied the English language requirements (with required scores in TOEFL, IELTS, PTE, CAE, and CPE)
International Students Admission Requirement
For international students to apply for an undergraduate degree at the University of Melbourne.
They must have:
- Completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or its equivalent in an international academic qualification.
- Applicants must satisfy any additional requirement for their program of choice, which includes prerequisite subjects, tests, portfolio submissions, interviews, or auditions.
Postgraduate Studies Admission Requirements
If you intend to study at the postgraduate level at the University of Melbourne,
You must satisfy the entry requirement before you will be eligible to apply for graduate research courses.
- Firstly, you have completed a minimum of a four-year Australian Bachelor’s course or an international equivalent.
- You must possess an overall average of higher than 75% in the final year of your Bachelor’s course.
- You must have completed a research project/component that accounts for 25% of your year’s work at the final year of undergraduate study or master’s level.
- If you are required to meet U Melbourne English language requirement, you can use TOEFL, IELTS, Pearson Test of English, or Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English.
English Proficiency Requirement
If you are required to submit English proficiency test scores as part of your entry requirements, these are the acceptable tests and scores.
- TOEFL (Paper-Based) minimum score of 577
- Internet-Based: minimum score of 79
- IELTS: minimum score of 6.5 (with no band less than 6.0)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): minimum score of 58
- Cambridge English, Advanced/Certificate in Advanced English: minimum score of 176
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency: minimum score of 180
The University Of Melbourne Tuition Fees
Below is the estimated cost for one academic year at the University of Melbourne.
- Humanities, Agriculture, computing, etc: AUD 3,950
- Mathematics, Agriculture, computing, etc: AUD 7,950
- Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, etc: AUD 11,300
How To Apply For The University Of Melbourne
The application process for the University of Melbourne is simple and unique.
By following the steps below, you can complete your application
Step 1: Choose A Course
The University Of Melbourne offers a variety of undergraduate courses.
The university offers undergraduate programs in arts, biomedicine, design, music, fine arts, oral health, commerce, etc.
So, find your preferred undergraduate degree and check the entry requirements.
Do well to make sure you have the academic qualifications required for the program of your choice.
Step 2: Check Eligibility Status
The next step should be to check if you are a domestic student as classified by the University of Melbourne.
Domestic students are mostly Australian or New Zealand citizens, Australian Permanent residents, or Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa holders.
Step 3: Apply Through VTAC
The University Of Melbourne uses the Victoria Tertiary Admission Centre (VTAC) application.
The VITAC application normally starts in early August every year.
You can apply for up to eight courses, and make sure you list the courses in the order of choice.
Apply early to the University of Melbourne before the appropriate application deadline.
Step 4: Check Eligibility For Special Entry Scheme
As a domestic student, you can apply for Access Melbourne if you are eligible.
Domestic students who are eligible to apply are those with a disadvantaged financial
Background, difficult circumstances, disability or medical condition, residents of a rural or isolated area, etc.
Step 5: Search For A Scholarship
Once you complete the application via VTAC, you will be considered for several scholarships at the University.
You could be awarded the Melbourne Chancellor’s Scholarship or considered for Melbourne Access Scholarship if you lodge a SEAS application through VTAC.
Step 6: Plan Your Accommodation
If you received an admission offer from the University of Melbourne, you need to start planning for accommodation on campus.
Undergraduates are provided with several housing options on the university’s main campus.
Why Should You Study At The University Of Melbourne
There are many reasons why you should study at the University Of Melbourne.
Most of these reasons are:
- The University of Melbourne is ranked 1 in Australia and 31 in the world by Times Higher Education.
- It is the best option for international students as the world agrees that Melbourne is the best city for education.
- As there are 36% international students, the University of Melbourne delivers a multicultural experience to its graduates as well as the faculty.
- Melbourne has a very convenient mode of transportation in the form of buses, trains, taxis, and trams, which makes getting into the city quite accessible.
- The University of Melbourne offers all types of international culinary delights that are an attraction for the students.
From Asian dishes to traditional Australian dishes, it has a lot to offer.
- Australia is a beautiful city and so is the University of Melbourne campus. This physical aspect adds a plus point to Melbourne.
- It provides world-class services not only to international students but also to local students.
- Along with international students, Melbourne also attracts numerous international companies thus offering high placements to its students.
- Melbourne is the cultural capital of Australia and so the university hosts many cultural events that encourage the students.
- The University of Melbourne helps to follow your dream so that students do not have to choose between their careers and passions.
- It also has 200 clubs and societies possessing a variety of sports, games, and cultural events with active student participation.
1. Does The University Of Melbourne Offer Financial Aid And Scholarships?
The University of Melbourne Financial Aid Team assists students who want financial assistance for their education with loans such as:
- Student Loan
This is an interest-free loan for the students to assist with their course-related or living expenses.
- Short-Term Loan
This loan helps students to borrow money in case of emergency.
The maximum immediate cash flow available is $1,000.
- Long-Term Loan
This loan assists with a number of unexpected study-related expenses with a maximum amount of $5,000.
- One-Off Financial Hardship Grants
One-off grants are available for students who face extreme financial hardships for critical expenses such as food, rent, and other bills.
- Melbourne Chancellor’s Scholarship
This is the biggest source of scholarship for the students.
The University of Melbourne awards around $6.5 million of assistance every year.
2. What Is The Average GPA To Get Into The University Of Melbourne?
With a minimum GPA of 3.3 or equivalent, you will be considered for admission to the University of Melbourne.
The University of Melbourne has a less selective acceptance rate and requires applicants to meet the entry requirement for a specific course.
3. Are International Students Accepted At The University Of Melbourne?
International students are accepted at the University of Melbourne.
Currently, international students make up 44% of the student body at U Melbourne, and they hail from over 150 countries.
- Easiest Universities In Korea To Get Into Highest Acceptance Rate 2023
- Eight Best Universities In China
With this, I hope that you understand that studying at the University Of Melbourne is not that difficult.
The university’s acceptance rate is less selective than other top universities in the world making it easy to enroll.
All you need is to have the academic qualifications required for enrollment and you are good to go.
Was this article informative?